Thursday, March 19, 2009

Article Written for "The Concord" Luther Seminary's school paper.

Therefore we have been buried with him through baptism into death, in order that just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too may live a new life. (Romans 6:4)

This passage is a promise from God given through the pen of Paul the Apostle. It doesn’t sound very cheery to hear that God promises to put us death, although, in reality, that is what we all deserve. In the end, life is finally fair: we all die for our sins but the good news is that on account of Christ we are then resurrected as a new creation.
Luther would say that our old selves, although already put to death, still cling to the new creation like a sack of worms until our eventual physical death. Why has Jesus Christ taken us out of this world only to send us right back into it? We, as new creations, exist for one purpose: to love and work for the sake of others in the offices which God has called each one of us to serve.
What does all this have to do with the preservation of life? Good question! God has put us to death with his left hand and has raised us up to life with his right hand. Nonetheless, we sometimes still cling to the habits of the old self. Why do we worry about money, our reputation, our space, personal time, or the next cup of Starbucks? Does a new creation in God’s kingdom need money and all those things we feel provide happiness and comfort? Regardless of what I am told, we will not cease to exist if we do not have another cup of Starbucks God has created you anew for the sole purpose of serving your neighbor. Academic degrees or any other thing you think you have earned are not for you, but for the sole purpose of making you a better servant to your neighbor.
As I reflected upon my first full semester here at Luther I came to realize that this is the most important thing I have learned. I exist first as a husband and father to serve my wife and children, second as a son and brother to serve my family and third as a preacher called by God to deliver the gospel message to bring comfort to afflicted consciences. I am called to each of these offices to serve wholly in Christian faith and love. I am not called by God to the office of “me” and all of the creature comforts I suppose necessary for daily living. God is the very one who provides for me, giving me all I need from day to day so that I might be sustained for the work of serving others. This is God’s greatest gift to me because there was indeed a time in which I thought I was god and only served myself. I never want to be that miserable again. Yet, I have been raised up from the dead and called from my misery, only to be given a new whole life.

No comments: