Monday, November 8, 2010

Luke 18:9-24

Me church; I don’t care who you are that’s funny.
In today’s gospel reading we see this attitude of” it’s all about me” in the prayer of the Pharisee. Bothe men have gone to the temple to pray therefore both men are seeking an encounter with the divine. But which man’s prayer is heard? A better question would be which man’s prayer is not turned inward upon himself?
Our gospel passage for today starts with the setting of the parable. “He (Jesus) also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous and treated others with contempt.” No I know that there are no people in this congregation who think more highly of themselves than they should because most of you come here every weekend and hear me tell you that your works count for nothing. Are you tired of hearing that yet? But let’s still see if there is anything that we can learn from this man’s self righteous dissertation on himself.
The Pharisee , STANDING BY HIMSELF, prayed, God I thank you that I am not like OTHER MEN, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector.” Standing by himself, this shows his utter love for himself separating himself from everyone else. God, thank you; is this really a prayer of thanks or is it an exhortation of himself. He seeks to demonstrate this exhortation by listing his good works. It is clear that this man thinks that he is righteous before God because of these works. But similar to moral of the parable of Unworthy Servant from a couple of weeks ago; when you do what is expected of you there is no reward. This man is clearly under the delusion that he can gain righteousness before God through his own actions. In other words his relationship with God is not a proper one because his relationship hinges upon the works he has done for God and not on trust in the grace that God has given him for his short comings.
In contrast we have the tax collector. You will remember that tax collectors were social outcasts as they were viewed as betrayers of their people. They were residents of their respective community who collected money for the Romans; most were crooked and collected more than what was required keeping the difference for themselves. Keep in mind in this time in history if you could not pay your taxes all of your possessions could be seized. Let me put that in perspective, women and children were considered as possessions. So your family could literally be sold into slavery for not paying your taxes. Do you see the kind of wretchedness that tax collectors represented? Consequently, for Jesus to use a tax collector as the one who was found righteous was scandalous indeed. But in chapter Luke 5:31-32 Jesus says, “31 And Jesus answered them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. 32 I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance.” And in Luke 15:17 He says, “7 Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.”
The tax collector has much different posture about himself than the Pharisee. “But the tax collector, STANDING FAR OFF, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but BEAT HIS BREAST saying, GOD, be merciful to me, a SINNER.” This is a true confession of a true sinner who has been afflicted by the law who realized that he was in desperate need of the grace of God. This prayer is not asking to be judged by the law. This man does not seek justice for if God gave him based upon justice then he would immediately be put to death and sent to hell on account of his sin. No1 this man seeks the gospel, he seeks grace and forgiveness; the tax collector’s pray is the type of prayer that brings celebration in heaven.
I realize that both prayers may seem inwardly focused however they are not. The Pharisee focuses his prayer on his works and the tax collector focuses his prayer on the work of God.
So, what does a parable about two Jewish men praying in the temple? Well let me break it down.
1. This parable shows us that through the law God is just. He doesn’t accept the prayer of the self righteous.
2. It shows us that through the true repentance of sin God is merciful.
3. It illustrates for us that God truly does desire mercy not sacrifice Jesus stated in Matthew 9 & 12 echoing the proclamation of the prophet Hosea.
4. It forces us to ask ourselves if we have the heart like the self righteous man or a heart like the humble broken sinner.
Today I will confess to you that I indeed have the heart of the humble broken sinner. You see it has been brought to my attention that I have failed to live up to the expectations of a few people in our congregation. I publically acknowledge that their expectations were both valid and reasonable and that the failure is totally and completely mine. I am learning each day what it means to be a follower of Christ just like the rest of you and there are times that I will fall short. I simply wanted to thank you for your patience with me thus far and ask for your forgiveness and mercy in the future. I am not trying to exude a false sense of humility here nor am I looking for affirmation. I have been wrestling night after night with how I could make it up to or how I should handle this situation. I am really tired of looking for solutions as it has been impossible for me to rest. While I was writing my sermon the answer to this dilemma came to me, I am not to try to fix it with righteous actions instead I am to simply ask for forgiveness and mercy and go on learning what I can from my mistakes and trying not to repeat them in the future.
Let us pray, Lord Jesus Christ, the mercy and grace of God has been shown to us through Your death and resurrection. Today Lord we acknowledge that you did in fact come to die for us so that we may have life and have it abundantly. An abundant life is one of the easy yoke, one free from worry, guilt, and anxiety. I humbly ask Lord Jesus that you send your Holy Spirit to each and each man, woman and child in this congregation with the purpose of the nurturing of faith. Faith in the promise that Your yoke is the easy on and faith in the promise of everlasting life given to each in their baptism and in the sacrament of The Lord’s Supper in which we are about to partake. I ask all of this in Your holy and precious name. Amen

No comments: